What is the User Management Module used for?
The User Management (userman) module is replacing several modules which have attempted to create and manage users separate from the Extensions Module. Modules such as iSymphony, XactView and RestAPI are a few examples. In FreePBX Version 12 the new User Control Panel (UCP) will also utilize the User Manager module.
Using this module you will be able to create users that have access to Extensions or Device/User Mode Users and the settings associated with those Devices. For example, a new user could be created that can log into the User Control Panel and access the voicemail of 3 other accounts or manage your API tokens.
How do I get to the User Management Module?
- On the top menu click Admin
- In the drop down click User Management
How Do I Use the User Management Module?
Creating a new User
- Clicking on User Manager module brings up a screen like this.
- On the right side you can see a list of all Users that have been created and click on any user to edit the settings or press the “Add New User” option to create a new user.
- For each user we can define the following pieces of information
- User Settings
- Login Name– This is the login Username to Log Into anything external such as the User Control Panel in Version 12, iSymphony/XactView Version 3, XMPP Chat User and other items that may tie into this module.
- Description– Friendly name for this user.
- Password– Password used with the login name defined above.
- First Name thru Home Phone Number– These are just optional fields that can be used to store information on the user that future apps will use.
- Default Assigned Extension– This is the extension this User is assigned to by default and used by the API module. A single extension can only belong as the default Extension for 1 User Account. If using the API Module or Rest API Apps module this is how we associated which extension this user belongs to.
- Additional Assigned Extensions– These can be additional extension on the system that you want associated with this user. This is only used at this time in User Control Panel in Version 12,iSymphony/XactView Version to allow you to see settings for these extensions such as Voicemails or Follow Me settings amongst other items.
- User Settings
UCP- FreePBX 12 or newer
- UCP is the new User Control Panel for FreePBX 12 and newer that replaced the old ARI in FreePBX. Below are the settings related to UCP for your user.
- Enabled-Yes or No If yes then the user will be able to log into UCP with the permissions below
- Allowed Settings– Which extensions you can change settings for such as Follow Me, Call Forward, Call Waiting and Do Not Disturb
- Allowed Voicemail– Which extensions you can view and manage the voicemail boxes of.
- SIPStation SMS DIDs- If using SIPStation any DIDs that are capable of SMS can be linked to 1 or more Users and UCP will show all inbound SMS’s on these checked DIDs and let the user send outbound SMS’s from these DIDs
- Allowed Conference Rooms– Any conference rooms select here can be viewed and managed inside UCP for this user.
- Enabled- If you have the XMPP module install and licensed here you can enable this user for XMPP. Setting this to yes will create a XMPP user and password based on the Login Name and Password defined above on the server.
- If you have the Rest API module installed and licensed here you can enable the API for this user and have it create a token and define the restrictions of what this REST API user has access to.
- Token– The generated Rest Token ID for this user
- Token Key– The generated Rest Token Key ID for this user
- Status– Enable or disable the use of this token for this user.
- Users– What versions this Rest User is associated with. By default this is set to ALL and the ALL list is restricted to only the extension you have defined above in the “Additional Assigned Extensions” section for this user.
- Modules– By default this is set to ALL meaning this Rest User has access to all modules for the users defined under User section.
- Rate Limit– How many request per hour this Rest User can make with their token for security reasons.
If using the Rest Phone Apps on a device the extension of that device will match to the “Default Assigned Extension” and then look to the “Modules” defined below to allow access to using the phone app. For example if my extension 4001 has the App programmed on the phone for Call Forward when the user presses the Call Forward button on their phone it will access the Rest API here and look for a User setup with the Default Assigned Extension of 4001 then look in the modules list below to make sure they either have Call Forward Enabled or the ALL enabled before displaying to them the Call Forward options on the phone.
iSymphony and XactView
- If you have iSymphony or XactView V3 installed here you can enable this user to login to iSymphony or XactView V3 interface.
When creating a new Extension on your PBX you can have the system create a User in this module and define the password from within the extension page.
By default it will create the login as the extension number and define the password you entered.